Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Paid Access Wifi sucks

So I enjoyed the free wifi in a random McD, and I expected more or less the same experience in the airport, where I have about an hour to kill before the other guys arrive.

Sean Keener had a good experience with using the free 24 hours trial of the paid wifi service at the airport, so I was hoping to do the same. No such luck. While I was able to find the two paid wifi signals, they were weak at best. I'd also seen Wifi access in Korean Airport, and the signal is much better anywhere I choose to sit.

I chose PCCW because I happened to have an existing broadband account with them. The member fee is $3 HKD for 10 minutes, and if you're not member it doubles. It's very strange that if you register with them, they ask if you're local resident or visitor. Upon checking, Visitors get a $100HKD/day access plan as an option, which isn't a bad deal at all if you're stuck at the airport.

The connection went through without problem for Safari, and I'm instantly online, with a small pop-up window telling me to disconnect when I'm done. So that's how they keep track of my usage. I wonder what happens if I just disconnect without pressing that button in the pop-up window.

Overall there was nothing special escept that I'm at the airport, and that I'm paying what can be considered insane amount in Hong Kong to go online. The speed wasn't spectacular either, measuring a 76.4kbps verse 274.1kbps mentioned in previous post.
Overall, I wasn't impressed. Airport Wifi could have been better. There could have been more power-points for laptop users. I only stopped browsing because my ibook is running on reserved battery. Wifi Signals could be better. There could have been more ways to pay for it besides credit cards and PCCW account. Most important of all, 24 hours free trail should have been there.

No comments: