Sunday, February 19, 2006

New Toy and Birthday Present

Got myself a second-hand wireless bluetooth mouse, sort of a late birthday present for myself. Speaking of which, the package Yvonne sent ends up to be Firefly DVD set, exactly what I'd been wanting to get for myself. First episode kicks all kinds of ass that it's just hard to force myself not to finish the whole darn DVD set all in one go.

My trusty ibook finally failed to boot after I deleted some kernel extensions in the Terminal with "Sudo" command. Sudo command has a nice little paragraph warning that you shouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing. I managed to screw things up even with the explicit wordings like: "Think before you do anything".

Mac OS X disk didn't have a "rescue" mode per-se. But it did come with Disk Utilities and Terminal application, which allowed me to go in, and manually backup everything of importance to my ipods via unix commands. I told the install CD to install the copy of OS X for me after that, and to my surprise, everything that I'd backed up were actually still in the harddisk, tucked away in a directory called "previous systems".

Within minutes, I did a copy of copy and move commands, and all my stuffs are back, with a slightly more responsive OS due to fresh install.

Lesson learnt:

- Backup, backup, backup.
If my stuffs were on a Windows machine it would have been a hell of a lot harder to get access to the only copy of my stuffs.
- Know your Unix commands
- Backup, backup, backup
- Did I metion backup?

No comments: