Sunday, November 27, 2005

pre-loaded iPod

Mark Cuban explains why iPods don't come pre-loaded with lots of music.

On the new Motorola V3 phone that I bought, there's the motorola v3 phone commercial in mp4 format sitting preloaded in the phone's memory. It's odd to me that they don't do the same for at least the 5th generation iPod with Video capacity. It's true that artists need to get paid whenever your commercial airs with their song in it, but there are a lot of commercial with no record-industry songs, no?

As Jon Beer in the comments pointed out, this blows out an entirely new advertistment environment. Ipods, PSP and other video devices are perfect for marketing films like "The Hire" series by BMW. You probably wouldn't have Walmart commercials running alongside independent shorts just yet, but perhaps the day is coming.

Speaking of which, the whole "preload music for sampling" would be too much too complicated for Apple's taste, at least in terms of putting them in the iPod. i don't see Steve Jobs agreeing to it at all. Sure it'd be a wonderful way for people to sample new music, but iTunes Music Store is already doing a relatively good job in there.

Let's imagine a senario: If a track is pre-loaded onto my iPod which is set to shuffle mode. I'm driving, and the pre-loaded song comes up randomly. I'm too busy to skip it, and iPod recorded my playing it. ITMS charges me because of the play, assuming that I like the song and would like to keep it.

It's a fessible idea, but a lot of details need to be ironed out. I doubt that Steve Jobs would jump at the idea because it won't help him sell more iPods.

my 2 cents.

No comments: