Thursday, February 24, 2005

The palm syncing outrage

無法顯示錯誤的圖片「http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/goddard/sony%20clie%20peg-sj22.jpg�I dug up my Clie Peg-SJ22 and tried to use it on my new computer today. I'm as bad with installation CD as Michael Moore with singing, and naturally I've misplaced it. That wasn't a problem. Palmone.com allows you to download Palm Desktop, and I was good to go, at least in theory I was.

So, Palm Desktop for mac doesn't install right out of the box. Appearantly you need to hack into the system a little for it to work. That wasn't a big deal since I'd want to use the palm for work and it's a windows machine at work. So on the other side of the spectrum, I installed palm Desktop for Windows, and it sync with the hardware alright.

Here is the catch, you can't sync with Microsoft Outlook without third party software. Now apparently such software was included on installation CD. Either I shell out 30USD for some third party sync program, or I can move everything I have in outlook to Palm Desktop.

Nothing pisses me off more than technology that doesn't work, work only half of the way, or require a lot of work on my part to make it work as advertised. I'm lazy, and I just want things to work. PDA Hardware NEEDS synchronization software, and a good one at that. WITHOUT SYNC THERE IS NO PDA. I just don't get why palm doesn't just give us the ability to sync with outlook right out of the box.

End of rant.

No comments: