Friday, February 25, 2005

Unsafe Attachments removed

I am totally flawed.

Just a couple of years ago I was telling everyone I know not to use outlook, outlook express or the likes. They just aren't safe, I'd said. Here I am, right now, using Outlook for my office work.

Don't get me wrong, it's working well for windows standard. Outlook is by far the easiest way to keep things organized on the windows platform. It has email, contacts, to-do list, everything that I need to not worry about remembering things. Well, not until another virus hit me anyways.

But outlook was big and slow, so I gave outlook express a try. Setup the pop3 account for work, importing mails from outlook, everything works perfectly, and I was about to give microsoft compliments for making things easy. When I realize this little notice on one of my mails with attachments on it: "OE has removed the following unsafe attachments in the mail: 593_No_2.doc, IPAddres.xls". So essentially everything important our client sent me was gone. Meeting minutes, Link parameters, all that jazz. I looked around to see if I can just click something to get those files back, gave up after 5 minutes, and went on to download Eudora.

So, Outlook Express thinks that all these files, MS word documents, MS excel spreadsheets, they're all unsafe. And Outlook Express would be right. Sending email attachments with Outlook Express or Outlook was just wrong, it just is. I should have listened to myself a couple of years ago.

Now I'll go back to sending this task list excel sheet with macro enhancement to the other contractors before our next meeting listed in my Outlook calendar.

No comments: