Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Twist, twist, twist

So, work is going great.

Within three months, I had to train a new guy that was hired out of the blue. I don't know why he was hired, I didn't interview him, and I sure as hell didn't see his resume.

All that was told to me was that he is a Computer Science graduate. I guess that means he knew C++ right? Haray, I was right, but he knew next to nothing about Visual C++.

Alright, that's all good, he can learn as he goes. So I gave him a bunch of Powerpoint slides we have to present to customers, told him to read them. He did. I told him that we're going to do some programming with Visual C++, and told him to get up to speed.

A week went by, he finished the powerpoint and I gave him a set of API to control some CCTV. He started to look at them, and I told him we want to make a proto-type program as a proof of concept that he understands the API.
Couple of days went by, and he asked me the simpliest question about basic Visual C++. He apparently haven't even dived into the API code and sample, and struggling with the programming language which I told him well in advanced to get familiar with.

That's not what pisses me off. During this week and a half, I saw him Connecting to his home computer to check stock quote, my co-worker caught him dozing off a couple of times, and my boss (yes, his boss) caught him making personal calls.

It's all about work ethics. You don't have to have a PhD in engineering field, but you've got to make an effort to learn whatever you don't know, ask questions, and do it quick. Companies hire engineers to solve problems. They don't hire people to turn them into engineers.

No comments: