Sunday, December 18, 2005

An Open Letter to Hong Kong People's Alliance on WTO

An open letter to Hong Kong People's Alliance on WTO:


First of all, I'd like to congratulate you, Hong Kong People's Alliance on WTO, for a job well done. You've utterly lost all kinds of respect amongst a huge group of Hong Kong population.

In your statement with media, it's your claim that the Korean Protesters were conducting their demonstration peacefully, while the Hong Kong Police used unnecessary force during their exercise. You must not have been near either a working television or Wan Chai yesterday night. Koreans were pulling down steel fences 3 meter tall, they were rocking police cars, grabbing police equipments and using them to attack the police, throwing ladders at the police. hm.... Perhaps all that didn't happen. All the reporters must have been making things up because the demonstration went on too peacefully and there wasn't anything to report.

But wait, there were 30+ police injured, isn't THAT true? Oh How could that be true? It's the demonstration was peaceful. Police was using unnecessary forces against people who're just sitting there, why would the police get injured? Oh I know, they must have hurt themselves with their own equipment, all 30+ of them well trained police officer.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for expressing your opinions. And although I think going onto the street isn't the best idea and the most effective solution, to each his own, right? So long as properties don't get damaged, people don't get hurt, my life and those of the general population in Hong Kong aren't put at risk, I'm fine with it. I understand what they are trying to accomplish. What I don't understand is the decision on using violence to achieve what they want. It's very frankly a stupid idea. Not only do I care less of what they're s saying, the WTO would have an excuse to ignore their voices as well. "Oh they're just here to to break things.".

Other organizations have stated that they would avoid these kind of violent behavior during their demonstration, so that their voices would be heard.

I was out on the road in the Hong Kong area, and my parents were really worried that I was hurt. They haven't felt the need to be this nervous for years, why are we letting these peaceful demonstration ruin our way of living?

Demonstrators have already been given special privileges, during all of WTO. They were attacking police from day one, and honestly I'm surprised that there hasn't been an arrest until now for all the property damages and disruption of peace. The Legal system works very much like shopping at an expensive gift shop: You break it, you deal with the consequences. You choose to break the law, you'll have to deal with the consequences. You can hire lawyer to fight your case, but if you think you can get into Hong Kong, break something, and get out, you've really got another thing coming. "They booked air tickets to go back on Sunday so please release them" just doesn't stand, at least legally.

Finally, I'd posted this online as an open letter, and any response you have for my position and this email you can either direct it to me, or post on your website as another article.

All the best with the rest of the demonstration, and let's hope nothing this insane happen again.

Regards,
Ben Liong

No comments: